Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pin-Up or Shut-Up

I've found some bitchn' new threads... and some wicked artwork that is right up my alley!




The piece above, called 'Clothing Optional' is a traditional vintage pin-up. This ladies and dirt bags, is the artwork of David Uhl. If you frequent this feeble excuse for a blog, you know I am a big fan of Pin-up art.




David's threads are simply an extension for his creative energy... only emblazoned on cotton. Very nice T's (a little pricey at $40+ US), if I say so myself.




Paintings from Uhl’s pin-up series are some of the most sought-after pieces of his portfolio. While David stayed true to his biker roots, he also wanted to pay tribute to his favorite painter in this genre, Gil Elvgren.


This one from Gil is titled 'Jill needs a Jack'.



This my friends is a true American classic. Simply dubbed 'Telephone'. Look familiar?


Zippo loved the look and captured it on a lighter.



It's like every farmer and his dog has copied Gil's telephone girl. No matter the art form, albeit in a couple of photographs, that classic pose remains the same.




This last piece is from (1947) George Petty. I'm not sure if Petty copied Gil or vise versa. But I love it! For more info on some of the greatest pin-ups around, check out the Great American Pin-up




Here's David with Jeff Decker and Jay Leno. Jay is chatting with the guys on the work they did that will be auctioned off with a Harley.


Ace ♠

No comments: